Sunday, August 07, 2005

Its coming home, its coming home. Football's coming home.

Thankfully, the Premiership season is upon us once again, a summer full of European Cup celebrations, Peter Crouch rumours, and Steven Gerrard denials has drawn to a close. The Community/Charity Shield is over and done with, and now the shouting can begin. But, before it does, I shall anoint you all with my Premiership preview -- now, I assure you, I will be talking nothing but bollocks for the next few paragraphs, you have been warned.

Chelsea will win the Premiership. End of. We should just give them first place, and not let them play the season, a bit like Spurs in tenth place. With Robben fit from the start and the addition of Shaun Wright-Phillips, they're every fantasy players wet dream and nightmare at the same time. They're able to score 4 goals a game, but which combination will actually play? Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Premiership titles.

Liverpool will finish second. I can dream can't I? On the back of 'That Night in Istanbul' I think Liverpool could put a decent season together. The signings of Reina and Crouch, a full season of Morientes (eventhough he looks a bit rubbish), and a season not blighted by long term injuries (I'm looking at you Alonso, Cisse), could put us near the top. In Rafa I trust, and why not? He made a squad containing Djimi Traore and Igor Biscan European Champions - he can do anything - water into wine, raise the dead, bring Michael Owen home. Anything.

Manchester United and Arsenal will scrap it out for third. Obviously. Arsenal's loss of Vieria and United's lack of any sort of decent cover make them both susceptible. Cesc Fabregas may be a lot of things, but is his a big enough presence to make up for the loss of Monsieur Vieria. Short answer, no. Arsenal will struggle, especially away from home, with teams that will get amongst them, fight and use the more physical side of the game (I'm looking at you, Blackburn) - Vieria had a take no prisoners attitude, and would often drag Arsenal out of the mire. Fabregas is 18, Spanish, and last season, sported a mullet. What that means, I don't know - but I don't think he's good enough. Manchester United have become a shadow of their former selves. Chelsea, the new kids on the block, have stolen their thunder, and now United's aging golden generation are getting well...old. No real alternative to Roy Keane, Ryan Giggs, or Paul Scholes poses some problems for Sir Alex, not only this season, put in seasons to come. With the Glazers controlling the purse strings, will there be money for him to strengthen? That remains to be seen, but for now, the quality is obvious, but its on the wane.

So here goes -- some more predictions, and some for those not paying attention:

Champions - Chelsea
Champions League Qualifiers - Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal
UEFA Cup Qualifiers - Tottenham, Newcastle, Bolton
Relegated - Wigan, West Ham, West Brom
Golden Boot Winner - Thierry Henry
Michael Owen will sign for - Liverpool

There you go. My colours nailed firmly to the flag. In a few months we'll all be able to look back and laugh at my apparent lack of football knowledge!

Peace Out.

No comments: