Monday, February 27, 2006

{insert brilliant title here}

I know, I've been a very bad boy, the type of boy that gets a blog and never updates it. Sort of the nerdy equivalent of the boy that gives you the time of your life, and then doesn't call back. But here it is, the booty call -- an update!

Pretty much everyone that bothers to check this URL will know that I just got back from a week long sojourn to Campbellville - mainly to visit Lori's dad, who just after New Year got the medical equivalent to a kick in the nuts, he was diagnosed with Stage III (b) lung cancer with malignant pleural effusions. For those who don't read doctor-ese, its bad news. He started chemotherapy and was given home oxygen to help him breathe, he sleeps in a hospital bed in the living room, and isn't even allowed to go upstairs. Thankfully, by the time we came home, he had some colour in his cheeks and could go for spells without the oxygen - that made coming home so much easier for both of us. Lori is taking it quite hard - being a proper hand gesturing Italian family - family means everything, so facing what is inevitably a sad ending, is so impossibly hard. I do what I can to keep her positive, but there's only so much I can say - she'll deal with it in her own time in her own way, with or without my help.

I'm not sure when I'll be home again, I was aiming for the summer so that I can see my sister's baby -- she's due in May -- but with the financial situation, it looks as though Christmas may be a safer bet. There's so many little things about Canada that I miss while I'm here: Cinnabon, large grocery stores, wide roads, a car that I'm legally able to drive!! As much as I do love England, and being close to Liverpool FC, Lori and I are both counting the time down to when we can move home for good. Its strange, before I moved back here I always felt more English than I did Canadian - but since being here, its turned on its head completely - I think its being away from it for so long that makes you appreciate what you have - For the first time I now see myself as Canadian first....unless we're talking about soccer....which we probably were.


This blog entry was brought to you by:
Hard-Fi - Tied Up Too Tight
The Arctic Monkeys - Fake Tales of San Francisco

No comments: