Sunday, April 30, 2006

The Long and Winding Road...

As most people know, I was lucky enough to go home on Good Friday to spend a week at home. It didn't get off to the best start - my alarm not waking me up caused me to rush to the train station, forgetting both my iPod and extra PSP battery, to catch my train. Once I made it to the airport, things ran according to plan - the lack of music to accompany the situation smarted, and the terrible in flight movies rankled - but other than that it was an uneventful trip. Once I arrived on Canadian soil, I was hurried into the van and promptly driven down to Ohio to visit my heavily pregnant sister. We spent the Easter long weekend wandering around malls, and timing my sister's contractions. Nothing much happened, she's still pregnant now -- I've decided that she isn't actually ever going to give birth, and if she does, it'll be a 39 year old accountant in a gray suit. Needless to say that the 90 minute train journey, plus the 7.5 hour flight, plus the 5 hour drive wrecked me. At one point, I was speaking in tongues - I hate jet lag.
Once I got back to Campbellville I set about my plans for the week - which included the requisite meet up in Toronto:


Amazingly, my trip coincided with Darren being home from med school. It had been over a year since I saw him, and it was nice to get together and speak about hospital stuff. As is tradition, every time I go home, we went for a walk around the Hockey Hall of Fame, where Steve made the best French commentary to a classic piece of NHL archive footage that I have ever heard.


The Jays were playing the Yankees, so after Steve's stellar negotiations with a scalper, we wandered down to Skydome (fuck you Ted!), found Jeff and took in the game. The specifics of the game were unimportant, however, two points should be noted. One, the girl sitting next to us with her dude boyfriend was pretty hot. Two, there were two guys sitting behind me, one of which screamed "SAFE!" everytime a Blue Jay got out, right in my ear, he's lucky that I wasn't a proper football hooligan, and turned around and chinned him, I was half deaf by the end.


After meeting up with Jamie and Sherm at the bar, and a mad dash to my train, I spent the rest of the week with Lori and her family. I went to Credit Valley hospital on the Thursday to see him get his chemotherapy. Having worked on a ward that did a lot of chemotherapy, it was really interesting to see the different procedures and equipment that they use over there. Lori's dad really looked well, considering the circumstances - so well in fact - that if you didn't know it, you'd think he wasn't sick. That really helped Lori, and will make it easier for her to come back here.

So, there it is, what I did on my holidays. My next planned trip is hopefully August, I could use a bit of stifling heat and humidity! I hope to see everyone then, unless y'all want to come visit me here, which you're all welcome - just ask Steve - I'll take you out and get you wankered and everything!


This blog entry was brought to you by:
Tool - The Pot
Arctic Monkeys - Cigarette Smoker Fiona
Metric - Glass Ceiling

1 comment:

gulldogg said...

Dude sounds like he was looking for a proper Chelsea grin! SAFE!!!!